Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Lots of Updates!

I haven't posted anything in a few weeks, because the end of the quarter means I have NO spare time! My lasses have done some really fun things though. Check out the pics below!

My staff developer, Ryan, set up the opportunity to take my Foods classes on a field trip to Texas Roadhouse! Talk about a totally awesome field trip!!! We had a blast!! We all learned a ton and I have a whole new respect for what waiters/waitresses do- on an average night they walk about 8 miles carrying about 40 lbs worth of stuff most of the time... ad they make only $2.13 per hour!). I was so impressed with the set-up of T.R. They were so patient and generous with my students. Dawn, the Manager, explained to the students the responsibilities of each of the employees of TR and shared with us some of the challenges the employees face. She had the student try to pass some of the tests they give their employees, like memorizing the menu and the table numbers. Dawn demonstrated how the computer system works and let student practice carrying a serving try. Then student got to tour the kitchens. Alan, the kitchen head, was a riot! He explained each station to the students and gave some good tips! Alan also explained that everything at TR is made from scratch. Wow!! They have a full time baker and a full time butcher there at TR. To top all this off... they fed us lunch!!! Talk about an awesome field trip!!


My Fashion class has been having some cool experiences too. We have had a variety of guest speakers over the last week. Meg McArthur and Mal Ence came to my class to talk about basic skin care tips and cosmetic tips. I know I learn something every time I hear them talk. It has been fun to see how my students have applied the tips Meg and Mal shared. We also had the Paul Mitchell Hair Academy come talk with my class. They gave away some great prizes and had some fun contests with my students. They demonstrated several hair products and explained some basic hair care tips. My students have been having a ball!! Plus, they have been learning a ton!! A HUGE thank you to all those who have supported our program here at DHMS by giving of their time and talents to share with my students!

No comments: